One-Day Trip to Varaždin and Trakošćan Castle
- Duration: 8 hours
- Group size: up to 3/4 (car); up to 7/8 (van)
- Children friendly: Yes
- Pet friendly: No
- Activity level: Medium
You are in a hurry?
Call Us Now!
+385 95 5049 577
About your guide
Varaždin is cultural, social, economic and tourist center of north Croatia. The relatively small town (50.000 inhabitants) holds 11 ‘Green Flowers’, the national award for the best tourist destination and horticultural landscaping in Croatia`s inland. You will find why, when you enter the winding streets of the old town core, with preserved Baroque, Rococo, Classicist and Art-Nuevo palaces and public buildings, and wonderful Baroque churches with their angels, all “wrapped” in specific charming atmosphere of the town.
Trakošćan castle is placed in the northwest corner of Croatia, surrounded by the green hills, above the lake. This is one of the most beautiful castles in Croatia`s inland. In the 19th ct. the owners of the time-being, counts family Drašković, renovated the castle in Neo-Gothic style, with romantic, fairy tale like lake and park.
What to expect?
- Varaždin – take a walk through the old town core and enjoy outstanding views of the aristocratic palaces, the City Hall and beautiful Baroque churches; find the place where the angels sleep, if you wish, visit one of the museums; and see the “Old Town” fortress-castle from 14th ct;
- Have a coffee and a cake, or lunch in one of the restaurants with excellent food;
- Trakošćan – ascend along the winding path to the castle and enter the world of the aristocrats of the 19th ct. From the castles’ interior you can find out a lot about their way of living, interests and hobbies of the noblemen, and admire beautiful decorations and furniture;
- Afterwards descend to the lake and have a pleasant walk by the lake and forest, enjoy fresh air and beautiful scenery (drink coffee or tea on the lake “restaurant”).
Return drive to Zagreb.
Here are a few things we have heard from guests so far:
“Varaždin is really beautiful town, with relaxed atmosphere, full of charm and cultural flare. And I liked very much the peaceful beauty of the Trakošćan and the lake. Our driver was professional and friendly. Altogether excellent choice for one-day trip if you are staying in Zagreb for several days.”
“Beautiful palaces and parks and wonderful churches, charming atmosphere, excellent pastry – Varaždin is really one of the places one should see while in Croatia. And Trakošćan… the interior is not so richly decorated as some of the castles in middle Europe, but outstanding harmony of the castle, lake, and forests is something worth seeing, and makes you wish to stay here a little longer.”
What else should you know about our trip?
- Check-out “must see” locations in Varaždin and other suggestions from the local Tourist Office before going on this trip;
- Tickets for Trakošćan castle should be paid on spot, please check the valid prices and find other information about the castle;
- Ascent to the Trakošćan castle is not completely easy, but worth every step of it.
What should you bring to this trip?
Comfortable walking shoes, sunhat, water, (snack).
Rent a private driver!
Use this coupon and save money